Pain au Levain, French for naturally-leavened bread, has been made for centuries in France. A truly well made Pain au Levain is only slightly sour and emphasizes the flavor of the wheat it is made with.
The wheat in this loaf is particularly special, with 90% coming from an heirloom variety called Turkey Red and the other 10% being a Whole Wheat flour from wheat grown here in VT. The heirloom flour in this loaf is supplied by the Heritage Grain and Seed Company in Lawrence, Kansas, from "Turkey" variety Hard Red Winter Wheat, grown by Bryce Stephens in Decatur County, Kansas, and milled by Heartland Mill, in Marienthal, Kansas. In the fall of 2009, Turkey wheat was boarded onto Slow Food's Ark of Taste. This regional loaf is full of history, flavor and texture. An excellent sandwich or toasting bread.
Available for Thursday Delivery Only
Ingredients: Unbleached Turkey heirloom wheat flour*, water, VT-grown whole wheat flour*, culture, salt.