Each Week Red's Best's Fisherman will offer us what they expect to be fresh off of their partner small boat day fisherman.
This fish and shellfish is extremely fresh and literally right off of their small boats. All fish are caught using small scale sustainable methods such as hook and line and small gill nets, so that ocean and fish stock damage is minimized. This ensures a sustainable future of quality fish for us, for the fisherman and the communities they live in.
Quality is much higher than what is available at retail stores for a number of reasons.
- Fish is handled less and arrives in your kitchen within a few days of the catch.
- These fisherman return each day with their catch and do not store or hold fish.
- All fish is wild caught and not frozen or processed in any way other than cutting or packaging for travel.
- Your fish arrives at Red's Best Monday morning, Farmers To You picks it up Tuesday, and you receive it Wednesdays and Thursdays.
For a simple crispy fried treat:
1 lb. smelt
1/4 cup canola or sunflower oil
3-5 oz. flour
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup torn parsley leaves
Rinse smelts in cold water. Fill a medium mixing bowl with water and ice, add fish, and let stand until fish are very cold and firm.
- In a brown paper bag, put the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Shake fish dry in small loose handfuls, and add fish to bag in batches of 5-7. Give the bag a few vigorous shakes.
- Heat 1/4 inch of oil in each skillet over medium-high.When oil ripples very slightly, add fish, taking care they do not touch each other. Cook until brown, about three minutes, and flip using small cooking tongs or cooking chopsticks. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately with lemon wedges or your favorite dipping sauce; aioli, hot sauce, or tartar sauce.