Parsnip Hummus Print Serves: 6 Don’t miss this opportunity to use the last of the parsnips. This recipe is a great take-off on the standard chickpea hummus. Serve it with your favorite bread or carrot sticks and watch it disappear at your next party. Ingredients
- 1 – 1 ½ pounds parsnips
- ¼ - ½ cup oil (olive oil or sunflower)
- 1 large clove garlic, unpeeled
- juice of one whole lemon
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 heaping teaspoon of cumin
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- a half cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
Farmers to You Ingredients:
Other Fresh or Pantry Ingredients:
- salt and pepper
- This is one of those great recipes where you don’t have to worry too much about amounts and measurements.
Simple to prepare. Delicious to eat. Roasted roots work for any meal of the day. They are great paired with eggs & sausage for breakfast. Scatter a large spoonful on a salad for lunch. Make a rice and roasted veggie bowl for dinner. I will often make a large pan (or two) of roots and use them throughout the week. Sometimes I reheat them, sometimes not. Because of their versatility they are great to have on hand for quick meals. Pictured above is a mix of beets, carrots, potatoes and shallots, that’s what I had.
Here’s a great way to use some roots that you may not be familiar with or use very often. I decided to halve this recipe with great results. Making the full recipe would be great for serving guests or freezing half for a quick weeknight dinner. Leftovers would also pack well for lunch. This is one of those recipes where the food tastes better the next day – so making this ahead of time is more than okay.
Chicken and Root Vegetable Stew Print Slightly adapted from Epicurious Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 chicken leg quarters, well trimmed
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, each cut into 12 pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled, cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 2 large parsnips, peeled, cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 2 medium rutabagas, peeled, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 2 medium turnips, peeled, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup Butterworks cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
Here are some great vegan/vegetarian recipes from our amazing site host Bridget Colvin in Jamaica Plain.