Spicy Green Beans Print Serves: 4 A delicious way to prepare green beans that will add a bit of spice to any meal. Addictive! Ingredients
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 generous handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 medium to large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- hot pepper flakes, to taste
Farmers To You Ingredients:
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- salt, olive oil, hot pepper flakes
- Wash and remove stem end from green beans.
I agree with Mark Bittman when he says “…the period between Labor Day and Thanksgiving is the best time of year to cook — warm enough to grill and cool enough to braise, with the farmers’ market still an absolute paradigm of abundance.” Farmers To You is overflowing with goodness. Enjoy!
Steak Salad with Green Beans, Tomatoes and Blue Cheese Print Serves: 3-4 Ingredients
Posted in Recipes, Shannon's Kitchen Also tagged arugula, baby spinach, beef, blue cheese, cheese, fall, salad, spinach, steak, summer, tomatoes
Roasted New Potatoes and Green Beans Print Author: adapted from Eating Well Ingredients
- 1½ pounds new potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
- ½ pound green beans, trimmed - (about half of a FTY bag)
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion or scallions
Instructions Cooking Instructions
- Preheat to 450°F
- Toss potatoes and green beans in a large bowl with 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper.
There are endless variations and no need for a recipe. Here are a few things to keep in mind when assembling a chopped salad. These tips are from the great food blog the Kitchn.
skip the lettuce
the allure of a chopped salad comes from all those small crunchy bits mixed together. the lettuce only gets in the way – save it for a “regular” salad.
beans are bite sized and their creamy texture is a great complement to the other crunchy bits. any beans are good: black, white, kidney, adzuki, great northern, garbanzo, etc…
watch out for watery fruit & veg
tomatoes can be hard to chop without getting liquid everywhere – not to mention waterlogging your chopped salad.
Green Bean and Potato Salad Print Ingredients
- 1 lb green beans, washed, de-stemmed, cut in thirds and steamed until just tender (4-5 min). Immerse in cold water after steaming to stop cooking process.
- 2 lbs potatoes, scrubbed, diced, and boiled until tender (10 min). Drain and set aside.
- 1 1b tomatoes--either halved cherry tomatoes or diced beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/4 c sunflower oil
- 12 basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate minced shallots in vinegar, salt and pepper while potatoes and beans are cooking.