Who hasn’t uncovered some sad looking vegetables in their fridge from time to time? Wilted lettuce, bendy carrots, droopy broccoli. Instead of tossing away, try giving them a cold bath. Trim the ends off the carrots, cut the broccoli or cauliflower into florets and cut away any discolored parts. Place the veggies in a large bowl or pot and completely submerge with cold water. It’s fine if the vegetables float. Let them sit for at least an hour. It may take more than an hour, I usually let mine sit for several hours until they have regained life and are rehydrated again.
Tag Archives: broccoli
A steamy bowl of savory soup is one of my favorite foods on a chilly morning. My son and I like to talk about how we’re “starting our fires” when we eat warm and nourishing foods for breakfast. I’ve enjoyed Jaime Oliver’s minestrone and a lovely kale, sausage and potato. FYI – I swapped out several ingredients in the minestrone because I made the soup last minute. I used what I had on hand and the results were great. For example I only had yellow onions, not red.
Roasted Broccoli Soup Print Author: Shannon Hepburn This actually is a great breakfast soup Ingredients
- 1 large bunch of broccoli, stems peeled then everything cut into 1 inch pieces (does not need to be exact because you’ll be pureeing the soup)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a soup pot over medium heat and saute the chopped onion and garlic.
- 1 small bunch broccoli (3/4 pound)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Discard tough lower third of broccoli stem. Peel remaining stem and cut crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices. Cut broccoli into 2-inch florets. In a steamer, set the broccoli over boiling water, covered, until crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
This week Simeon shared his delicious slow cooker chicken recipe. Here are a few simple goodies to round out your meal. Save that chicken stock from the slow cooker! You’ve got the greatest liquid gold for making soup – check out the Mexican Chicken Soup recipe.
These are great side dishes to round out your bounty from the autumn harvest.
- Quick Roasted Delicata Squash
- Steamed Broccoli with Olive Oil, Garlic and Lemon
- Mexican Chicken Soup
EAT WELL AND BE WELL