My mom made one of the best dishes on our Thanksgiving table this year. I’ve never had sweet potatoes combined with apples and they’re a fantastic match. The glaze is neither too boozy nor too sweet – just right. This would work well on any holiday table. I more than halved the recipe and put this on my weeknight table to go with a roast chicken. I baked the potatoes the night before so they were cool and ready to slice the next day. Enjoy this festive time with good food and good cheer!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and cook the potatoes whole, no need to pierce. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Lightly squeeze the potatoes – if they are soft, they are done. Let cool.
- In a small saute pan over high heat, add the pecans and lightly toast. Add 4 tablespoons of butter, reduce the heat to medium, add the maple syrup and spices, and allow to simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the whiskey and continue to simmer for a few minutes more.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into ½-inch slices. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8 by 8-inch baking dish. Arrange the sweet potatoes, alternating with the apples. Pour the whiskey-pecan mixture over the top and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
EAT WELL AND BE WELL