Butternut Squash Ginger Carrot Soup

butternut squash ginger carrot soup

This is a fall favorite in my home. Warming, healing, nourishing with just enough sweetness from the carrots that are coming out of the ground. Sometimes I’ll double this recipe and store it away in the freezer for a quick meal.

I  stopped cutting garlic a few years ago in favor crushing directly into the dish while I cook. It blends well, more garlic oil makes it into the food, and there is less bitter flavor. For the same reasons, grate the ginger directly into the pot. I like to skin the ginger using a vegetable peeler but you can also use a spoon. I use the small shredding blades on a box grater or microplane to get all the pulp and juice while avoiding the woody fiber.

ginger.carrot.squash

Butternut Squash Ginger Carrot Soup
Serves: 8-10
Ingredients
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 6 carrots
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 thumb size piece (or larger) of fresh ginger
  • 1 onion
  • 1 qt stock (veg or chicken - fish could also work nicely here)
  • water
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • (optional - cream, milk, sour cream, or coconut milk)
Instructions
  1. Cover the bottom of a large stock/soup pot with oil and add diced onion and a bit of salt on low heat. Cook 5-10 minutes until the onion becomes translucent. Add garlic and ginger with salt and pepper to taste and cook another 5 min so the flavors blend. Peel, seed and cut the butternut squash into large chunks. Wash and cut the carrots into large chunks as well. Add the stock to the soup pot, then the carrots and squash, then add water to barely cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the carrots are tender. Using a potato masher, crush the cooked veg then blend to your preference. I usually like to blend half leaving some of the mashed carrots and squash for some texture. At this point you can stir in something creamy if desired. I used about half a can of coconut milk recently and thought it was perfect. If using sour cream, add it into the serving bowl as a garnish.

peeled ginger

garlic

Posted in Recipes | and tagged , , , , , permalink| Trackbacks are closed| post a comment.

24 Comments

1. avatar Kathy
    Posted September 29, 2017 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Added parsnips and apple to main recipe. Great fall soup.

2. avatar adrienne
    Posted January 28, 2017 at 11:38 am | Permalink

So good, easy and fast! Needed a little cooked rice for thickening and used coconut/almond milk. I added an apple after I tasted the recipe as written. The apple really amped up the flavor. Finally, a touch of cinnamon and raw Pepitas.

3. avatar Taylor
    Posted October 17, 2016 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Great teacher. The visuals was just what I needed. Thanks, much!!!

• avatar Andy
      Posted November 21, 2016 at 6:45 am | Permalink

I’ve made this a few times now, using my own chicken stock and coconut milk to finish- delicious !

4. avatar Heather
    Posted October 4, 2016 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I just made this soup!
    Soo tasty!

5. avatar Lauren
    Posted March 25, 2016 at 2:13 am | Permalink

I used this recipe as a base for one where I added a one inch size turmeric root, a 1/4 of chopped walnuts, and 8 ounces of unsweetened soy milk (for calcium and vitamin D). I omitted the salt and pepper (I watch my sodium because of heart issues) and dairy. The resulting flavor was delicious, semi-sweet, with a hint of nuttiness. I will be making this fairly often for the nutrition as well as the flavor.

• avatar Taylor
      Posted October 17, 2016 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

love it!!

6. avatar Valerie Stanley
    Posted February 22, 2016 at 7:24 am | Permalink

Saved my bacon – monday morning -brain dead available fresh carrots, sweet potatoes and frozen squash and frozen chicken bits. Cookery books proved useless as not one (Delia, Slater &Rombauer) provided inspiration and then farmers gave me the basic to provide a winter bouquet. Husband very satisfied. Thank you

7. avatar Kaitlin S
    Posted February 7, 2016 at 11:37 am | Permalink

In the middle of making this I realized I didn’t have any vegetable stock so I subbed green curry paste and it turned out delicious! I added a cup of coconut milk as suggested to compliment the ginger and curry paste. Thinking about adding sweet potato next time I make this. Thank you for the recipe!

• avatar Taylor
      Posted October 17, 2016 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Love it. Gonna try the curry paste

8. avatar Dunmo Mugford
    Posted January 27, 2016 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I’ve made this soup many ways/variations. Today I roasted the squash and carrots and used crushed coriander seeds, crushed fennel seeds, cumin, and sage to flavor. I sliced up three Granny Smiths and fried them in butter with cinnamon and sugar (2 tbls)….. Blended in the Vitamix for smoothness. YUM

9. avatar Theresa Beck
    Posted January 27, 2016 at 9:36 am | Permalink

I made this delicious soup and at the same time made a vegetable broth from all the peelings including the garlic bits and ginger peelings. I thought it might be bitter but it was sweet and fresh tasting. I used the broth instead of water to cover the veggies to cook
    and as we have chickens gave the cooked peelings to them so nothing was wasted. Thanks for this warm and tasty soup!

10. avatar Delia
    Posted November 15, 2015 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

This recipe was a lovely base from which to add some creative touches. To hype up the flavour I added a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, a teaspoon of turmeric, and extra fresh ginger. Sour cream as garnish = delicious!

11. avatar Raven
    Posted October 22, 2015 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

This soup was delicious. I had a huge acorn squash harvest this year so I used them instead of butternut. Otherwise followed the directions exactly and it was delicious and very satisfying.

12. avatar Stephanie
    Posted October 10, 2015 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Question for commenter Susan: did you top the cornbread with the broccoli, etc., or were the ingredients added to the gluten -free cornbread mix prior to baking? Just curious, because it sounds great!

13. avatar Pat. Mueller
    Posted October 6, 2015 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Super good. How about adding an apple in the cooking? My very large squash made a large batch and we will enjoy several times over. Easy recipe.

14. avatar Kristen
    Posted October 1, 2015 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I used the tube of ginger instead and added some ground cumin, coriander & a pinch of cayenne pepper. Topped with Raw Pepitas before serving. Best squash soup ever!!!

15. avatar Olga
    Posted September 27, 2015 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I followed the instructions but left out the sour cream/coconut milk. The vegetables-only recipe turned out nice and sweet but a little bland – it needed more kick – I recommend using 2x the ginger for the right amount of bite.

16. avatar mainemal
    Posted March 10, 2015 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

I made the base for this soup with a few slight changes: added the equivalent of 2 carrots of celery root, which added a subtle mellow flavor, and 1/2 – 1 t. of homemade curry powder: store-bought would add bitterness, which is why previous reviewer’s request for “how much powdered ginger” shouldn’t be followed: fresh is the only way, and not hard to come by. But I found the base a little lacking in intensity/subtlety, so I added 1 t. of good tamari/soy, and 1 t. of sherry vinegar (I think rice vinegar would be as good). As suggested I added 1/2 can of good (not “lite”) coconut milk. I served with a dollop of sour cream (Turkish or Greek yoghurt would work as well), and for a great touch, a healthy portion of chopped cilantro. This may not be the final product, but it’s a great hearty winter soup with some hearty foccacia and a salad.

• avatar cornelia hoskin
      Posted March 11, 2015 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Mainmal, thank you for sharing your variations. Could you tell me more about your homemade curry powder? I’m intrigued!
      ~Cornelia

• avatar Gingersnap
      Posted November 11, 2017 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Very snobby response, Mainemal. If the cook wants to use powdered ginger, she should use it. You made enough variations yourself. I would never use cilantro in this, as you suggested. It would take over the entire flavor of the soup.

17. avatar Susan
    Posted January 9, 2015 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

This recipe turned out excellent. I added one sweet potatoe to it just because I had it. Everyone thought it was yum. I added the 1/2 can of oconut milk and served it with loaded (broccoli, cottage cheeses and onions) gluten-free cornbread. A great meal for vegetarian, gluten- free folks!

18. avatar Ellie stokes
    Posted January 3, 2015 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

How much powdered ginger in place of fresh?

19. avatar Ellie stokes
    Posted January 3, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

How much of ginger powder in place of fresh?